Saturday, January 12, 2013

Held Hostage

That's right I've been held hostage by my Internet provider and I'm not happy about it. We've been timed out because we were naughty. Remember I told you the whole family were here over the holidays and with family comes lap tops, smart phones, I pads and Kindles. Evidently by Christmas day we managed to consume all the band width available on my satellite plan and BOOM! We were cut off. But not right away. Oh no. First it was a slow down which I blamed on the weather.Those of you who live in the country know that satellite service is our only option and satellite is subject to the vagaries of weather. If there is too much cloud cover, if it snows, if the dish ices up - no internet. Anyway, slower and slower until eventually we might as well have been using dial up. You remember dial up? Horrors! And then by January 5 absolutely no connection AT ALL!

Anyway, I finally called to complain and was informed about our SEVERE violation. After much discussion we decided to go with an equipment/plan upgrade and so you have before you faster satellite service and more band width whatever the heck that is. In truth we have not had an upgrade in maybe 8 years so it probably was time and the Internet does seem to be running faster but what do I know. I can watch a YouTube video without those annoying stutters I had come to expect so...



It's amazing how much sewing I can get done without the distraction of blog hopping! I worked steadily on the connecting blocks for Memories of Provence and this is as far as I've gotten so far. These measure 6.5" so far and will eventually be 12.5" unfinished so half way there. I'm anxious to complete the connectors so I can lay the blocks out and see how the quilt will look. The pattern calls for 20 blocks but I always make extras just in case of a flub. Those two on the left are wonky so they don't make the first round cut, glad I made more that I need.


River is 6 months old now and knows how to relax
It has been so cold and icy here that all we want to do is stay by the fire and River has perfected the fireside snooze. Doesn't she look comfortable? And yes my kitchen floor really is that muddy - there's a sleet storm out there people, notice the rubber boots by the fire.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. I would go nuts without the internet! We have cable so it is usually on. River is really getting big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me it about makes me crazy, cable is just not an option for us :( . River weighs about 55 lbs now and she's so sweet tempered. Not the smartest dog I ever owned but very good natured and loving and smart enough for us.

      Delete
  2. Oh Patrica I had to share this with my husband as we have had the same problem and LOL when it got down to dial-up speed there was no sense being on. We upgraded and still had to cut out some of the things we liked to do. Videos still aren't worth trying to watch. There is a company that is supposed to be putting up 2 towers in our area by March or April and I'm on the list to get it. We have bluffs here around the river. I think I get so much quilting done because our internet goes in and out all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you have to experience the same internet blues. :( It's wonder we chose to be bloggers, we both must be gluttons for punishment LOL.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. River is getting to be a big girl at about 55 lbs now and she's really a sweet dog, very loving, a big daddy's girl.

      Delete
  4. Fortunately we live in a well populated area and have cable so except for occasional outages, I can waste plenty of time on the computer when I should be sewing :)

    There are always a few wonky blocks! The others are looking just great. Looking forward to seeing them all laid out together.

    River sure looks satisfied with her lot in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far one of the biggest drawbacks to living in the country is the POOR internet service. Could I live without it? Yes, but hard very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. River is adorable! isnt it funny how we miss things when they are gone. and of course our "needs" change as technology changes. hope you are up and running soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River is keeping us busy, raising a puppy keeps us on our toes! The new connection is marginally faster but we still don't have a wireless connection so no laptop in the house and being a one computer family again is no fun. I have to wait for my husband to be done before I can get on and he is so S l o w .

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.