Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gifts in Jars/Apricot Oatmeal Jammers


My teenage grandsons always come up with creative homemade gifts for Christmas since they both are on a  non-existent very limited budget. They have aunts and uncles and grandparents to gift so you can see how the cost might add up quickly. This year they came up with this really nice idea. A complete cookie kit in a jar. I made the recipe last night and it turned out delicious! Quick easy and oh so good. What a great gift.




Oatmeal-Apricot Jammers
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup butter (room temperature)
  • 1 egg (room temperature)
  •  2/3cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats  
  • 2/3 cup coconut (medium unsweetened) 
  • 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 3/4 cup apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 350* Grease 9x9 inch baking pan; set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar 1 minute in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed. Add egg and vanilla, beat 1 minute more.
3. Sift flour and baking powder together. Add to bowl along with coconut and oatmeal; beat 2 minutes on low speed or until well combined.
4. Press 2/3 dough into prepared baking pan. Stir jam until smooth; spread over dough almost to edges of pan. Sprinkle remaining dough over jam; press lightly with fingers. (I used the whole jar you see in the picture.)
5. Bake 33 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely in pan before cutting.
For Gifting:
Layer dry ingredients in 1 quart food storage jar with tight fitting lid in the following order: brown sugar; combined flour, salt,baking powder and cinnamon; oats; coconut; pecans. Seal jar and cover lid with fabric. Attach gift tag with instructions which include the wet ingredients and attach with ribbon.

Now on to some yummy of a different nature.


Blog Anniversary Giveaway


 Have you been drooling over those luscious  red fabrics that Connecting Threads came out with recently? They sold out almost as soon as they hit the market. I fell hard for those and I was able to score some for my very own. Here's the fun part - my blog anniversary is coming up on February 3 and I'm going to share some of these wonderful fabrics with you, my readers. I really want my followers to know how much I appreciate them.

If you would like some of this Connecting Threads red fabric all you have to do is:
A - Become a follower.
B - Leave a comment. Got any inexpensive, fun gift ideas?

Simple. I'll be picking the winner on February 4. You can enter more than once so check back and enter whenever I post until then.

Only my followers can win this one but I promise you'll be glad you joined this give away. 

Until next time, 

 




4 comments:

  1. They look yummy, and I still like that red fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry I can see you're all about the fabric but make a little room for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great recipe and I really like the idea that your grandsons made homemade gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys have been so creative over the years making Christmas gifts for the family. I imagine it won't last too much longer as they both are almost out of high school now *sigh*

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.