Friday, January 25, 2013

Egg Money

Here is an explanation of sell by date and packing dates on your egg cartons: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Buying Eggs. Just some of the reasons why I go to all the trouble that I do to raise and keep a flock of hens. If I couldn't raise my own I definitely would be hunting around for a source for farm fresh eggs. Some things are worth the price if you can swing it at all and I would rather spend money on good quality food before buying other less necessary (to me) things. Even when we lived in the heart of the city we had a hen named Miss Liz who gave us an egg a day. She was hatched as part of our son Zack's first grade nature project and lived in our back yard for seven years along with two dogs and some rabbits. Miss Liz died peacefully of old age and the dogs were pretty upset because they didn't have her to play tag with anymore. The rabbits are a whole other story!


 Right now we have Silent Bob and the girls. Nine beautiful hens who give seven to nine eggs a day in good weather. If it's cold or dreary outside the hens lay less and as they get older they will produce fewer eggs. Right now Bob and the ladies are in the prime of life so they're all producing well.


What in the world do I do with all these eggs you might ask?   Chris and I do eat a fair amount of eggs. We have no fear of good farm fresh eggs and I use them for baking and cooking without qualms. My son's family lives down the road and they benefit from having Grammy's flock so close by as well. That still leaves quite a few eggs left over and those I sell to friends for $2.50/doz. That's about half the cost of free range eggs in the market. I'm not trying to make money off my friends. They don't feel right taking the eggs for nothing so I just charge them something and we all feel OK. I usually bring the eggs to town on quilt group day in a cooler, collect my egg money and then we all go to lunch!

Speaking of egg money did you know that traditionally on the farm the poultry where the province of the farm wife? The poultry yard was usually built close to the house so she could take care of the hens, geese and ducks and proceeds from the sale of eggs and feathers belonged to her. Her egg money to use for cloth and pins, ribbons and notions. Of course it also made it easier for her to catch that hen for Sunday dinner too.

Until next time,



9 comments:

  1. I have 3 hens who will be 7 years old this year, and I'm still gathering the occasional egg. I love having chickens.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I visit the girls they make me feel peaceful. That may be the biggest benefit of all of keeping chickens.

      Delete
  2. Just a few years ago my oldest cousin (now in his 70's) told me that my paternal Grandmother saved all of her egg money so she could buy Christmas and birthday gifts for her everyone in her family. She had nine children born in the 1920's and 1930's and from those children were born 34 grand children (I was the second to the youngest grand child). She died in 1968 when I was seven years old but I remember her giving me a dollar for my birthday and a dollar at Christmas each year along with a stick of gum that she mailed to me. I was really impressed when I heard this story. Especially when he told me that she always wanted a watch for herself and never bought one - she used all of the egg money for others. My Grandpa always regretted that he never went ahead and bought her a watch as a gift, I guess.

    Perhaps TMI - just thought it was interesting. :)

    Judy


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a nice story and illustrates what I was saying about HER money really well. Sounds like wonderful memories of your Grandmother. My husband's grandfather gave each of his grand kids a dollar every Friday night until his death when he was 94 and we were all in our 40's! My Aunt Sissy said her mother collected goose feathers and sold them for mattress and pillow ticking to buy the kids shoes for school. Nothing went to waste for those resourceful ladies.

      Delete
  3. My dad has always had chickens and fresh eggs. One of his clucky Bantom hens hatched 2 large hen eggs. She looks funny walking beside her adopted chicks.

    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine her so proud of her giant babies!

      Delete
  4. I have often wished we could have a couple of chicks. My dog or cats would be sure to get them if they weren't fenced in. Doesn't it cost quite a bit to feed them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be too expensive if you can stop at just one or two chicks. ;) The real expense is when you fall in love and go a little overboard! Not that I would know anything about that. The biggest expense really is setting up adequate fencing and housing to keep them safe from predators and healthy. They pay you back with eggs and just a relaxing atmosphere whenever they're around. Chickens make me feel happy that's about all I can say.

      Delete
  5. Get daily ideas and methods for earning $1,000s per day FROM HOME for FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS INSTANLY

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.