Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Creating a Chalkboard

I need to get organized! I've said it before but this time I mean it. Really. Well at least in the sewing room. I need to get organized in the sewing room. I can't remember what I've got going on from one project to the next. What was it I wanted to do after this table runner gets finished? Which quilt did I send to the machine quilter and when did I send it? I had a great idea for a quilt to do once I finish this baby quilt but now I forget. I've tried keeping a journal but then I loose it. I am kind of a mess. I decided to try a bulletin board of some kind. But if it's a pin board I'll just jam it full of junk in no time so I made a chalk board. Here's how I did it. If you want to make one here's what you'll need.


Masking tape, chalk board paint (any color you like), primer, foam brushes, a level and paint supplies.
I have a door leading to the bathroom in my sewing room. Perfect for my chalkboard. Using the lever and masking tape tape off the area to be painted. Make sure the edges are good and secure so paint doesn't leak under. 



Prime the area. if you can get the primer tinted a similar color to the chalk board paint. I didn't do this so I mixed some of the chalkboard paint into the primer and it seemed to work just fine.

Believe it or not this primer is slightly mocha color. The chalk board paint is a nice chocolate brown.
After the primer has dried, it only takes about an hour, you can start painting on the chalk board paint. It goes on just like regular paint but it doesn't cover very well and you'll need several coats. The CB paint takes about two hours to dry between coats. You want an even coat not real thick. I used foam brushes for this step. I think a foam roller would have worked better but I didn't have one.

This is what it looks like after the first coat.

Here it is after three coats. Several thin coats are better than one thick coat because you don't want a bumpy, lumpy surface.
After you're satisfied with the coverage and the surface is completely dry remove the tape and ta da.


This is how I plan to use it.



Until next time,

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop








7 comments:

  1. I love your Chalkboard Door! The door to my sewing room is well, let's just say, not so nice anymore. Our house is vintage, and the doors are to. Lots of blemishes in the finish. I could resand and stain them as the wood grain is beautiful. They are flat doors like yours---but, not I can see a black board in my future! You are so clever! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say go for it! Probably very little sanding would get the job done. I've done this on a kitchen door as well and used it as a message center that cannot be ignored. The paint comes in a whole range of colors so there must be one you'll like.

      Delete
  2. I meant to say "now" instead of not, and also, I'm lazy about painting so I know I would never sand and refinish all the doors in the house! But, this idea of yours is good. I can also see doing it on the kitchen door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I like these kind of things so much better than everything being on the computer. I can see this stuff. Hope it works for you.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to have a place to get this stuff out of my head and all in one place. Sometimes low tech is the way to go around here at least.

      Delete
  4. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-18-and-country.html







    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite and thanks for following.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.