Saturday, December 1, 2012

Placerville Hardware Store

The Oldest Hardware Store West of the Mississippi
Celebrating 160 years!!!
In June 1852, Mr. Franklin Stevens was deeded this property. Mr Stevens and Franklin S. Randall erected a stone building on this site in 1854. Mr Franklin, who acquired the business in December 1855, sold in 1856 to I. H. Nash. Business was started as a Tinsmith Shop and Hardware.
Remember when I told you about our day trip to Apple Hill? On our way home we passed through Placerville and we just can't go through that town without stopping at the hardware store. This is not just any hardware store mind you but the oldest hardware store west of the Mississippi! This place has character, this place has charm and if you can't find what you're looking for here it just does not exist!

160 + year old floors
Imagine all the folks who have walked these floors. Miners, farmers, scallywags and farm wives.

Just one of the aisle crammed with stuff -  nuts and bolts to rifles.
I was looking for something in particular in their housewares department. They carry things you just can't find in a regular store and at great prices too. 

Here it is! A food mill that I've been wanting forever. No more peeling, chopping and straining for me. Now I can convert those apples I bought into applesauce in half the time.

That's not an apple but it makes for a better visual so you can get the idea. Wait 'til you see this baby in action.

Until next time,

7 comments:

  1. I would love to go to a place like that. Those floors are so full of character, some of the cabinet and counters are neat too.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually take our visitors to this store as a fun tourist attraction. They always love it.

      Delete
  2. Looks very interesting indeed! I would love to see that thing in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned I have a post coming up about this bad boy in action. :)

      Delete
  3. Those really old places are treasure troves of the stuff you never thought you'd need but have to have! A giant leek is a fun stand in for an apple, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not leave this store without spending money, all absolutely necessary of course.

      Delete
  4. There has been a really big hardware store that opened up next to us. It might actually rival with Home Depot in size. I wonder if all hardware stores are that big. http://www.koontz.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.