Monday, December 3, 2012

Confessions

I have a confession to make to all of you. You know how I'm always going on about canning and making my own chicken stock and baking my own bread. Well... I don't always make everything from scratch. In fact I have a little secret. I use instant mashed potatoes. A lot.



These are delicious and easy and quick. I also use them in breads and I can make a quick potato soup with them. What can I say sometimes I just don't feel like peeling and boiling and mashing for just the two of us. This is the only brand I can stand because there are no additives or preservatives. And no one is paying me to say this, I just like 'em. I get them at Costco.

There! Glad that's off my chest. How about you? Any time savers or not quite homemade things that you just can't do without? Time to fess up you're among friends.

Added on 12/3/12: Judging from the comments I'm not the only person out there who uses instant mashed potatoes! I just may be the only one who felt guilty about it! LOL 

Until next time,



16 comments:

  1. I just discovered the deliciousness of instant mashed potatoes this year! I been getting them at the 99cent store. I have, for years, used canned small white potatoes. They really have a great taste and are so versitle for a variety of recipe uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to have those when I was a kid I'll have to try them again.

      Delete
  2. What happens at Dogwood Lane stays at Dogwood Lane! Oh My Goodness! lol

    I have been using instant mashed potatoes for years. The only time I use the real thing is on holidays. ;)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that Judy - you and I are on the same wave length.

      Delete
  3. I like the Cou try Crock mashed potatoes that are all made up in the meat case. They are yum. I also have a soup recipe that I pinned on Pinterest that uses five cans of soup and rotisserie chicken. Rotisserie chicken is a great time saver. I also use dehydrated minced onions in stuff like meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely on the rotisserie chicken, love those. The ones from Costco are the best IMHO. I save the bones and make chicken stock from them too.

      Delete
  4. Well I join the ranks of the instant mashed potato people! Some of them are really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from the comments we might need to form a support group!

      Delete
  5. I love them too! Hey lady...lets make a date after the holidays to bake some bread! whatd'ya say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so fun. You could come up to GT and meet River and Silent Bob and we could have a bake day.

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of instant mashed potatoes... let me peel and boil any day (and then fry the leftovers!)
    However, Stovetop stuffing is a must :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might have to do with an empty nest and 40+ years of cooking. :) I certainly never saw myself using them in my past life but times change. Hope the morning/afternoon/night sickness is better.

      Delete
  7. I have a recipe for potatoes that I really like so we do make our s from scratch. *However* I am very partial to Pepperidge Farm stuffing and use that from time to time. Potato flakes make wonderful breading for fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of potato flakes as breading, new possibilities arise. I see that lots of people use instant stuffing but I'm not a fan of stuffing in general so that's not on my list.

      Delete
  8. I use the ones with the fake bacon and butter and cheese already included. After making them from scratch the other night and completely forgetting the butter, I think I should stick with the ones someone else seasoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy hold me back! What brand is that if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to have to get some of those for sure.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.