Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Tradition

Most of us have traditions that we carry on from one holiday to the next which just spell home or family to us. I've already shown you my mantle. It's just not Christmas until the nutcrackers are on display and the stockings are hung at our house. But really Christmas wouldn't be the same if I lost this Nativity set. This is the same set I had as a child. As long as I can remember I've been putting these figures out somewhere near the Christmas tree. 


 When I was a very little girl I loved moving around the wise men and shepherds so they could have the best view of the baby Jesus. My children did the same. Sometimes the donkey has pride of place, sometimes the cow or camel.


Now my grandchildren spend hours arranging and rearranging the angels and sheep. Most are chipped, some have broken legs or wings. One angel has a permanent hole that some long ago family dog chewed on a Christmas Eve we spent too long at Mass. 


The Blessed Mother still looks serene and Baby Jesus is still happy and sweet. The shepherds are still awestruck and the angels are still worshipful. 


I have unwrapped them and set them out for for 60 plus years and hope that one of my children will do the same for at least 60 more after I'm gone.


May your Christmas traditions continue to bring you joy,

'til next time,

2 comments:

  1. We also have much-loved (and dog-chewed) nativities. Often, baby Jesus would go missing, as my youngest daughter wanted to always keep him close to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet and to my mind those are the memories that mean the most.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.