Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Perfect Spot

Those darn hens are so funny. Every morning the commotion in the hen house is so loud you would think they were being murdered. But no, nothing so dire is going on. In fact what's actually happening is a dance to pick out just the right nest to lay an egg!! We have nine hens and eight nests - more than enough. We really only need two nests, three at the most. But we had the space and why not provide each girl with her own accommodations? I'll tell you why not - she won't use it!! She will only want the nest her sister is using and she'll holler and yell until she gets it!
There are two hens pushing each other for position in that third box from the left.
But I don't like this one!!!!
All right, but I'm going to protest the whole time I'm in here so that the entire neighborhood knows I'm not happy!

Most eggs are found in the lower left box as many as seven out of nine a day. Go figure.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Reminds me of a contentious PTA meeting! lol

      Delete
  2. That is funny, I didn't know they did that. But then I don't know a thing about raising chickens! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day I learn something new and each day is a work in progress most times I have no idea what I'm doing either!

      Delete
  3. I wonder what makes one nesting box better than the rest? Strange. We only have a few boxes but I do notice that three hens decided to sleep on top of them at night rather than on the roosts with the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, wish I knew. We wouldn't have made 8 nest boxes if two would have done the trick.

      Delete
  4. too funny. I guess it is like the house in the neighborhood where everyone gathers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that why they call it a hen fest?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.