Monday, November 12, 2012

Design Wall Monday & Baby Dress

It's Design Wall Monday again and I'm pretty excited to show you what I've been up to this week. First of all I finished the Memories of Provence block #10. This one turned out to be a breeze to piece for which I am truly thankful, enough with the complicated piecing already!



Didn't this one turn out nice? I really like the background fabric I picked out for this one too if I do say so myself.

But BOM is not the only sewing I've been doing lately. I have ventured into garment sewing after more than 30 years! I know, don't faint just yet. When I was teenager I did sew a lot of my own clothes. Back then ( we're talking stone age here ) a lot of girls did sew at least some of their own clothes. It was the only way to get the latest styles in an affordable way. But... then I had three little boys and as we all know boys clothes are no fun to sew. T-shirts and jeans- blah! 

Fast forward thirty plus years and along come granddaughters Claire and Paige my cupcakes! I have a reason to break out the dressmaker chalk. Get me some ribbon and lace, maybe some elastic. Wait! I don't remember how to do this at all waaaaaaaaaa!!! My friend Jeannie came over and talked me off the ledge and I sewed a reversible baby dress for my darling Claire. Ta Da!



Did I mention reversible? With a hat?



I know it's pretty simple but it's a start. Look out. Can princess dresses be far behind? They do sell sequin fabric don't they?

Until next time,

 

Don't forget Patchwork Times for lots for other design wall inspiration. Thanks Judy for providing the linking party each week.

12 comments:

  1. I often wish I knew how to sew--the fabrics nowadays are adorable. LOVE the dress--you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like a novice believe me. Thank goodness for friends to talk me through even though this is a super simple pattern.

      Delete
  2. very nice, I never did sew many clothes, I hated it! I'm just not a seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said I liked it!:| straight face I may get to like making little girl dresses though they're so cute!

      Delete
  3. Reversible with a hat? Too cute! I'm working on a baby dress right now, also. It's amazing how granddaughters inspire us to sew--and mine isn't even born yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to post a picture when you're done. Of course I'll try to get a picture of Claire in her outfit when I see her next week.

      Delete
  4. My Mom and I sewed all of my clothes. I sewed for my son until he was about six and I hope to sew for grand children some day. You did a great job - it has to be a lot of fun to sew for those little ones!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous about using those past skills but it was fun. You sewed for boys? I am impressed!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. S. Can you believe it - I sewed a dress!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous sewing on your block and also the darling dress and hat! I had two girls so made them lots and lots of clothes through the years. Sewed some for my son too but not that many things, mostly costumes and stuff when he got out of the toddler stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always felt intimidated by costumes unless they involved blood or ghosts of course.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.