Friday, November 16, 2012

A Trip to Apple Hill

Chris and I took a trip to the apple country about an hour drive from here a couple of weeks ago to get our harvest fix before the truly bad weather set in and since we both are retired now it was possible to go on a weekday instead of wait until the weekend crush. What a difference it makes to be at the orchards on a Tuesday rather than a Saturday! Since Apple Hill as the region is known is less than a two hour dry from Sacramento it's a very popular Fall destination for city folks to bring the kids to pick fruit and pick out pumpkins and generally breath country air and the traffic can be brutal.


As you can see by the lack of cars we picked the right day. Isn't this place gorgeous? I always like to stop at this farm just to walk the grounds and look at their gardens.

 
 It had rained that morning which also kept people away. We've discovered that if we only did things in perfect weather around here we would be stuck indoors most of the year so a little rain does not deter us.


 The sun came out and it turned into a perfect day for hunting for just the right apples for applesauce and dried apples. I got boxes of Golden Delicious and Arkansas Black for my applesauce. Braeburn and Gala for drying and eating out of hand.


 Almost every farm has a bakery to tempt you. Yum, an apple turnover with caramel sauce. Delicious.


Last stop - Boa Vista Orchards. They're open all year unlike most of the others and have great seasonal produce usually at a decent price. I already have all the apples I need and at better prices. They can charge more cuz they're close to the highway. Remember to venture off the beaten path!





Do you have a favorite place to go for pumpkins, apples, whatever in the Fall?
 
Until next time,


13 comments:

  1. I was there two weeks ago when I there visiting my grandsons. It had been 20 years since I have visited Apple Hill. I always loved going up there. I have to say like everything it has change so much in 20 years. We did not make it to Boa Vista Orchards. looked beautiful. Thank for sharing your pictures, the only one I took were of the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As nice as Apple Hill is your grandsons make a far better picture, they are too precious and more beautiful by a mile.

      Delete
  2. Wow-Apple Hill looks gorgeous.
    I'm living in cherry/peach country--but no one has a beautiful place like that to visit....it's usually just a roadside table. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many lovely orchards to visit one right after the other it truly is a wonderful spot to visit.

      Delete
  3. That place looks wonderful, glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely outing to a lovely place, wish we had smellovision, that tart was scrumptious!

      Delete
  4. We used to go to an apple orchard every year - haven't done it for quite a while. Wonderful smells and memories. :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes me feels like fall has arrived we made a point of doing this when we lived in So. Cal. too.

      Delete
  5. Hey Pat! I love love love Boa Vista, what great produce deals! Grandpas Cellars is my favorite as I worked there for about 4 years...she makes the best crust on the hill! Glad you had a good time! I miss you and hopefully will see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it such a small world? I miss you too, we just can't seem to connect lately :(. Maybe after the holidays we can make a point of doing lunch with Karen too :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic photos! Hubby and I should make more of an effort to get out of the house, even on the weekends--we are so stuck in our routine! Thanks for sharing a great trip. I adore caramel on apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We recently RESOLVED to step out of our rut and have more fun! we can be so stuck sometimes.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.