Friday, October 19, 2012

Keeping Friendship Alive

When we moved to Dogwood Lane over 15 years ago it was a momentous decision. Not only were we leaving the hometown we both grew up in we were leaving behind all the familiar places and faces, family and friends. Which brings me to keeping friendship alive. Most of the friends I have I have had most of my life. These people know me. They know all about my less than stellar younger years and they know about my few achievements. We have history. In my new place I have made new friends and I treasure them, they make life fun and I look forward to spending time with them. But I'm sure we can all agree that there is nothing like an old friend. Someone who knew you when, someone who you feel completely comfortable with, someone you could not impress if you had too!

The view from our camp site.
We just spent the weekend with just such a group of friends camping at the beach and it was so much fun. We got caught up on all our kids and grand kids. Surgeries and travel plans, worries about aging parents and thankfully no politics. After all we all know where we stand and no longer try to change anyone's mind.

Cocktail hour at sunset.
River enjoyed tent camping for the first time.
 There was a lot of reminiscing about camping trips of the past 30+ years when all our kids were small and we were hauling them on impossible 4-wheel drive trails. Now they are parents camping with their children and we just get to sit back and laugh at their antics.

I can cook anywhere! Not bragging, just the facts.
We kept tradition alive too by bringing along our giant frying pan and frying up a camp breakfast of bacon and eggs and hominy for the entire group. It just would not be a real camping trip without that pan. It has even been hauled on backpacking trips by mule so that the Indian Princesses could have their deluxe breakfasts. My boys are convinced that's the only reason they were invited on those Indian Princess trips, that and to scare the bears away!

Camp watch dog!
Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a really good time, I remember those days but don't camp any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I will say that my days of tent camping are numbered! My bones just can't take much more of sleeping on the ground. :( Everything else about it I love.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.