Thursday, October 11, 2012

Home Work


Now that I am taking Master Food Preserver classes I have assigned myself homework. There really aren't any homework assignments as such from our instructors so I've given myself tasks to do in order to reinforce what I'm learning. Now I'm not new to canning, I've been canning for most of my life using techniques I learned from my sweet Aunt Sissy which she learned from her momma and grand momma on their Arkansas and West Texas farms. However, let me just tell you that their methods would not pass current food safety regulations and I am currently all about learning regulations. So...



A lovely box of freestone peaches was converted into peach jam and preserved peaches which will make Chris and me happy all winter long. I tried my hand at orange marmalade, something I've never before attempted and it's so good nothing at all like that rubbery store bought stuff. Some of that jam might even make it into Christmas stockings. I also managed to dehydrate three pounds of green beans which now reside in a pint jar, as you can see that pint jar isn't even full. I'll be adding those to soups and stews this winter. The red jars are the Thai Roselle jelly I told you about. As you can see I get a C- on the peaches (no prize at the county fair) too much float.



I feel all housewifey and frugal and all of it is FDA approved!

Linking to Farmgirl Friday at Deborah Jeans

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. I don't know how to fill the jars and not get some float. My jars were up to the neck and pushed down some too and I still got float.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding out that I should have heated the peaches with the syrup and maybe I'd have gotten less float. I packed the peaches and put in hot syrup.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhh...PEACH JAM!! My favorite! I have a close friend who makes us jams and jellies but she is so highly allergic to peaches that she cant make it! Oh Pat, would you like to sell some? Those red jars are so beautiful, is that a sweet jam also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be silly I'll bring you a jar, if I can remember you know my mind is a sieve! The red is the flower jelly and is sweet tart.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Aren't those jars on the shelf the prettiest things?

      Delete
  4. That looks like many fine hours' worth of work! Glad you'll get to enjoy that later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be like opening a summer day in a jar :)

      Delete
  5. The jars are just beautiful. When you get them in your cupboard you will be able to look at them and go, "Ahhhh....." and then enjoy the bounty all winter. :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressive! You do so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Susan unlike yourself I'm not taking care of my grandkids every day. Talk about doing so much!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.