Monday, October 8, 2012

DWM/Rapid Fire Hunter's Star

What with puppy classes, canning, cleaning, cooking and chores it's a miracle but I did get a chance to take an actual quilting class! Rapid Fire Hunter's Star was the promise and while I wouldn't say it was exactly rapid fire it was pretty fast. That wasn't the best part though, the best part was that the ruler used in this class produced a no fail perfect, eight point, lay flat star!! No kidding. If you're like me you avoid those things like the plague. Who wants to cut a bunch of crazy diamonds and trapezoids or whatever they're called and have all those bias edges and then not have the darn things come together in the middle and lay down? Can you tell that geometry was not my strong subject?

I have absolutely no affiliation with or compensation from this product.
Using this ruler the star blocks are made entirely from strips using two, three or four colors. I chose three colors and following the booklet that came with the ruler and tips from our instructor cut, pieced and pressed my way to one complete unit while in class. Then I came home and tried to remember what I had learned to complete my table runner project.

Strip piecing 


produces units which look like this
which you then join together like this

and trim up with the magic ruler!

Presto your block is complete. Wait a minute, that looks nothing like an eight point star. In fact I don't see any kind of star.
Look what happens when you put four of those blocks together.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Take a good look at that center!!! In fact take a good look at every intersection. Perfection - all because you make the block slightly over sized and cut it down before joining together. Wow!
Now for the bad news. The pamphlet that came with the ruler is a little hard to follow because of the way it's printed - all upside down and backwards. The website for the company Studio 180 Designs has a tutorial on using the ruler though that really helps. This a pricey tool as well for a single use ruler, it only makes this particular block. That being said it makes this block really well so if you've ever wanted to make one of these Hunter's Star quilts especially the beautiful two color ones like the one on the package this is the tool for you.



This is as far as I've gotten on my table runner and I love how it's looking.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. The Deb Tucker tools (maker of this tool) are very popular and well liked by my group of quilters. I am not much of a gadget person but they all swear by her tools and have used them for several years.

    Glad you enjoyed your class and the outcome of your project. It looks great!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I'm kinda with you in the gadget dept. but I figured there is always something to be learned and I do love piecing so... I have never heard of this person or her tools before but the website is very interesting.

      Delete
  2. The runner turned out so well. You're right, the intersections are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ruler did the work on that, I really am impressed with it.

      Delete
  3. your table runner is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin I hope to get this done for the Thanksgiving table.

      Delete
  4. Love the colors you chose! I haven't done any trapezoid sewing but know what you mean about all those bias edges. Beautiful stars, flat as anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Annie, I seriously would not have attempted this if not for the class. Now that I have I am confident that I could do it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that ruler and love it. I normally stay away from single use items,but I really wanted to make a red and white quilt like this. I researched and came up with this ruler and I'm so glad I did. It does one thing and does it well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about single use items but this one really does the job so I'm glad I bought it.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.