Monday, October 29, 2012

Design Wall Monday/Back in Provence

I finally have something to show you for Design Wall Monday. It's been a while since I've been able to get into the sewing room and I'm so glad that I was at least able to sew a few seams together this week. Remember this table runner that was the on my wall last DWM?



Well, I just didn't like that brown border,the more I looked at it so I decided to go with the gold instead and I'm so glad I did. The whole thing is so much better I think. I'll use the brown for the binding. It's waiting for a backing which I ordered from Hancock's of Paducah, I love that place. The catalog is yummy and they have a great selection of quilt back yardage on sale right now.


Then I moved on to my Memories of Provence block of the month. Because I was traveling I'm behind a month so I need to get crack'n. This is block #9 and I think it's really nice but let me tell you right now that the directions I was given for construction just made no sense to me.




 I struggled and struggled with this unit. Until I finally resorted to math and the tried and true method of constructing HTS. When I did it came out perfectly. I really wanted to learn something new to add to my knowledge but the only thing that happend was a waste of fabric and about two hours of my day! Good thing I purchased some extra fat quarters of fabric when I had the chance or I would have been out of luck on this one.



Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. Yikes! I can see why you struggled with those directions! Sometimes pattern designers rewrite things in a different manner or try to be unique so they can avoid copyright infringement but in doing so they make things so difficult!

    I like the border choice you made - really brightens it up!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that! Some folks don't have trouble with this but I just can't wrap my mind around it.

      Delete
  2. Arent these blocks a pain in the butt!? I am behind two months now because I dread making them...not good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is skip those directions and do it your way save yourself some grief.

      Delete
  3. great fall table runner :) your block is looking good, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful block and love your table runner....great colors! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie I'm inspired by your batik choices.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.