Sunday, September 23, 2012

Master Food Preserver or Doomsday Prepper

Master Food Preserver or Doomsday Prepper you decide.

I've enrolled in the local offering of UC Davis Extension classes to become a Master Food Preserver so for the foreseeable future my Tuesday mornings will be spent learning the approved methods for safe and certifiable food preservation. My youngest son asked me if he needed to worry that we might be building a bunker in the back yard and stocking it with questionable canned goods like 50 jars of possum. I assured him that I just had a notion that it might be a good idea to learn the science and safety behind the canning and drying and curing I've already been doing.

Injecting brine into a pork loin
The first class I attended was on cheese making and involved ricotta. Easy, peasy and delicious. Next up was deli meats, something I had no real interest in but as it turned out I came away with the knowledge I need to make my own pastrami and corned beef if I get a hankering. The best part about this is that at the end I will take a test to be certified as a master food preserver and will be able to sell my wares at farmers markets or maybe win a ribbon at the county fair.

This will be smoked and become Canadian bacon
This week was vinegars, catchup and chutneys. Now that class was delicious from beginning to end. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Have any of you taken an extension course, what has your experience been.

Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. I haven't, but I have thought about taking a Master Gardener class. I don't think I knew there were Master Food Preserver classes. Maybe one of these days I'll have to actually take one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son Zack is a Master Gardener and has a most amazing vegetable garden, he keeps us all supplied with green things all season long. Until now I have never had the time to pursue this interest seriously, ah retirement!

      Delete
  2. Sounds very interesting. Never knew there was such a class. I look forward to reading what you share with us.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These classes are offered through University of Calif extension and are free. Up until now I have been working full time and unable to participate so I'm really happy to have the chance to attend.

      Delete
  3. I am available for taste testing anything remotely recognizable, no possum or bear please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you have me stumped as that's all I have in the pantry at the moment :(

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.