Monday, September 10, 2012

Design Wall Monday/Autumn in the AIr

Not on my design wall but on the wall in my living room to celebrate what I hope is the upcoming change in season, is this quilt designed by me simply titled Autumn. I love this one for several reasons. It's the first quilt I made completely on my own without a pattern, just sewing fabrics together and figuring out how to put them together as I went. It was Super Bowl Sunday 2000 when I first started cutting squares from a bag of "ugly" scraps I had won at a guild Christmas party. Boy, how the girls laughed when I opened up that turkey prize! There were ohs and ahs in June when I showed them the finished quilt, I'm really proud of having turned what many considered ugly into what I consider lovely. 
If you look closely you can see peacock feathers, cowboy stars, corn husks and Lord knows what else! It just goes to prove that we can make anything work because it's not about print so much as about color and value. I had so much fun working on this, figuring out a border, using what I had in my stash and not buying one piece of fabric for the front or back. One of my favorites for sure.

Do you have a quilt that just shouldn't work but somehow does?

Until next time,

26 comments:

  1. Lovely, oh yeah I'm a scrappy quilter too.
    and Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt will be coming soon so get those scraps ready!
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I'm afraid that Bonnie's quilt just blow me away with the number of tiny pieces and I can never seem to get myself organized enough to attempt one of them even though I think they are wonderful. That Roll Roll Cotton Boll was fantastic! Did you make that one?

      Delete
  2. Love the leaves! Great quilt. Lynn Roddy Brown says if you still see the fabric pattern and dislike it, you haven't cut it small enough yet!

    glen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she must be right cuz this quilt taught me not to be afraid of 'ugly' fabric for sure!

      Delete
  3. Love it Pat! I'm going to dig my little fall wall hanging out from the sewing room. Although it's still in the high 90s here, I'm in the mood for fall too. Brad was here for a week and I had him carry in my fall decorations from the garage. Becky B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mrs. B glad to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing you next month, it will be fall by then bring your sweater.

      Delete
  4. This is proof that scrappy is best! Wonderful design you made, Patrica. I like the medallion look of the center and all those leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, this quilt was really a freeing experience for me and one of my all time favorites.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! And good for you for getting the last laugh with your guild. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You know what we say in quilting Linda, one woman's ugly is another woman's focus fabric!

      Delete
  6. This type of quilt is my favorite - great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy I love scrappy quilts the best too, no matchy, matchy for me unless I decide to match everything that is ;)

      Delete
  7. Kitchen sink quilts are the most fun to make. Together they all look as if they belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that expression - kitchen sink quilt!

      Delete
  8. Awesome job!! Maple leaves are one of my favorite blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful scrappy quilt and it looks like there are some great fabrics in it! Congrats on just winging it for your design! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Connie I wish you could see some of the kooky fabrics in there!Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  10. Love this! Love your scrappy magic. THanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, come by again.

      Delete
  11. Scrap quilts are my favorite and you have done a terrific job putting your scraps into a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeane what a nice thing to say and thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  12. those "uglies' were destined to be put together by you. great quilt! love playing with scraps and seeing what "goes" together. sometimes you are surprised that two fabrics you would have said NO WAY to, play very nicely. it is part of the fun of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, I never would have thought of putting some of these fabrics together without the challenge I set for myself of using EVERYTHING in that bag!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.