Friday, September 21, 2012

Chili Rellenos Casserole

'The girls' as we affectionately call our hens are laying which means seven to nine eggs a days. That's a lot of eggs piling up. Some go down the road to my son's family, some go to friends and soon I will be selling some but I still need to find ways to use eggs. I was looking through my original new brides recipe box and came across this recipe for Chili Rellenos.


Let's go back a minute and examine that last sentence. Back when I was a young bride almost 45 years ago it was common practice to ask bridal shower guests to bring a recipe card to the party to fill a recipe box for the new homemaker. I still have that box and for many, many years it was my go to recipe resource for tried and true, sure to please family food. 
 Food Network may have taken over this function for the modern bride but it sure is fun to look back through those recipe cards, each written in a different hand and remember the women who wrote down their favorite recipe for me. Most of the women who wrote those cards are passed away. Mothers, Aunts and Sisters I will never see in this life again but who will always be remembered through their food.

Cousin Dorothy's Chili Rellenos
serves 4

1 4 oz can of Ortega Chilies
1 sml can tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups of taco cheese (mix of cheddar and jack cheese)
4 eggs separated
1 can evaporated milk
1 tbsp flour

Mix chilies, cheeses and beans in a greased 8" square pan.


 Separate eggs. Beat whites until stiff and set aside.
Mix flour, milk and yolks together. 
Fold whites into yolk mixture, don't worry too much just make sure they blend together. Pour over chilies and cheese in grease pan. 



 Dribble with tomato sauce. 
Bake for 1 hour at 350*

 As you can see I cut the recipe in half from the original because there's just two of us and added black beans to up the nutrition. 

Until next time,

3 comments:

  1. I made one of my young bride recipes this week for our weekly family dinner this week. They all loved it. I still have the original yellowed newspaper clipping that I cut from the paper years and years ago. (yes probably around 1968) it is called "souper chicken"and I think you have the rcipe too, no eggs unfortunately. It is also called chicken no peekie in certain circles.

    Any chicken parts you prefer ( no, not your girls)
    1 can each cream of mushroom and cream of celery soups
    1 cup milk
    1 package Lipton onion soup mx

    Mix the cream soups and milk together, sprinkle a little of the onion soup mix in too. Lay the chicken on top, sprinkle with remaining onion soup mx. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350. No peekie while cooking! Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I left the most important thing out of the recipe. But I did definitely make it this week as you can tell by my repeated assertions. Ok now...add one cup raw white rice into the cream soup and milk mixture. The resulting rice is what is so delicious in this recipe.
      So..

      SOUPER CHICKEN NO PEEKIE
      Chicken parts
      1 can each cream of mushroom and cream of celery soups
      1 cup milk
      1 cup raw white rice
      Package onion soup mix

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.