Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bailey's Irish Creme Cake

Has this summer been as crazy busy for you as it has been for me? Wow, who said retirement was lazy? Most, in fact all of the summer has been taken up with fun stuff involving family interspersed with chores that just could not be put off and I feel like a lot has been accomplished but still...

While the brothers were here I made this cake and meant to tell you about it but just haven't had the time. It was just yummy, not just yummy but super yummy! Don't skip the sauce cuz the whole reason for the cake is the sauce.  If you just make the sauce and serve it over vanilla ice cream I won't tell on you, in fact that's what I'm doing today. I'm making ice cream ( remember when we did that? So easy ) and serving with some of this sauce. Chris is gone for the weekend on a State Search and Rescue training exercise so no one will know if I have ice cream for lunch or dinner or both, right?





Bailey's Irish Creme/Whiskey Cake
Adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns by Anne Byrn
Preheat oven to 350
12 cup bundt pan or equivalent, spray with vegetable oil spray and dust with flour.
Sprinkle chopped nuts in bottom of the pan and set aside.

1 pkg plain yellow cake or vanilla cake mix
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 sml pkg vanilla instant pudding ( I used cheese cake flavor)
4 large eggs
3/4 cup Bailey's Irish Creme (I didn't have enough so I added Irish whiskey to make 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water

Combine cake mix, pudding, eggs, liqueur, oil, and water in a large bowl. Beat on low to just combine and then increase speed and beat for about 2 minutes until well combined. Pour over nuts in pan, smooth top and place in oven.
Bake cake for about 45 minutes or until thetop springs back when lightly pressed with finger.

Glaze ( this can be a bourbon sauce just as easily or use any other liqueur to change the flavor)
1 stick butter (not margarine)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Baileys Irish creme ( like I said, I used Irish whiskey)

While cake bakes make the glaze. Place butter, sugar  in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and stirring constantly let simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add liqueur.

Cool cake for 10 to 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving plate with a rim. Using a skewer, poke hole in the top of the cake. Spoon glaze slowly over the top of the cake. Allow the cake to absorb the hot glaze, scoop it off the plate and re-pour over the top so more can be absorbed. Now you're ready to slice, oh my!

Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. This cake looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Rosemary, the glaze is to die for - hello lover...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! GOD BLESS YOU PAT! Irish cream is my all time favorite...I will definately have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL - One for the cake and one for me - one for the cake and one for me! My kind of baking!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.