Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Road Less Traveled


 When I say we live in a small town I mean we live in a really small town. By anybodies definition our town is tiny. We have a stop sign, a gas station and a little market on Main Street.  Down the hwy. there is a larger market for most of our grocery shopping and a bank and of course a beauty shop. We girls need to get our hair done! 

The Shannon Knox House - the oldest residence in town, right on the corner of Main Street.
 There are two cross streets, School Street and Church Street. I'll bet you can guess where they lead. Not much happens here and we are on the way to and from nowhere. The main industries are ranching and logging and not much of that goes on any more. Most people here are just barely getting by and have to work "off the hill" as we say, which means a daily commute of at least an hour on mountain roads.

The I.O.O.F. Hall  - every gathering of importance happens here, concerts, weddings, funerals and graduations.
This town is a California Historical landmark because in 1849 it was a booming gold rush town inhabited by thousands! Hard to imagine that now. Because we are not on the way to anywhere and the roads are a little scary we don't get a lot of tourists. This is good for those of us who like to be left alone, bad for the economy.
The beautiful American River Inn
Main Street is usually pretty quiet.

The saloon is still here minus the dance hall girls.
 We moved here 15 years ago so that my husband could take over the job as principal of the elementary school and I found a job at the local paper. We always dreamed about a more rural life. We wanted a slower paced, less stressful life and so traded jobs making a lot more money for peace. It was a good decision for us but might not be for everyone. As Chris pointed out it certainly was not the best career move either one of us ever made! But we like it here. We like the quiet, we like the space, we like the green and the distinct seasons. We both like a little bit of solitude.

The road is winding to Dogwood Lane.
We certainly chose the road less traveled. It was quite an adjustment for us moving here from Los Angeles with a lot of ups and downs. How do you think you would fare in an environment like this?

Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Every place has its advantages. I try to focus on the positive of each place I've lived. I've lived in small towns and large cities, and I love the less hectic pace of small towns. I think I'd do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having grown up in the BIG city it certainly took some getting used to for me but before too long I was enjoying the freedom from the frantic pace and noise. Now I don't think I could go back although so many people I love are still there.

      Delete
  2. Being in California myself, I had to google Georgetown to find out exactly where you are...not so far away either (I'm in Stockton). hahaha...I also notice they haven't changed your population sign in 12 years. Population from the 2010 census is 2,367! You're growing! You might one day not have to travel so far to chase down what you want. I love living in the county and isolation (I grew up in the country setting) but I like having the conveniences of the larger cities close by. When I want something for crafting or sewing, I want it right now...not an hours drive away! No patience here. LOL You are bordering some beautiful country there where you live. That has it's rewards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Annie that sign is a little misleading. At the same time the people who do live here are so spread out you'd be hard pressed to find them. lol It is a pain to have to drive over an hour when I want to go shopping but that makes everything an expedition and I don't save any money cuz I'm like a drunk on a bender. :{ We do so love the peace and quiet here it just can't be beat.

      Delete
  3. I live in Sonoma County now Patricia. But, I grew up in the Grass Valley, Nevada City area. I love small town living, and we live on 5 acres out in the Sonoma County countryside now. When I do go shopping, it's 6 miles up the road to the first small shopping center where our bank, grocery, coffee shop are. I only venture to the main town when I need something important. Otherwise I do most of our shopping online. Amazon usually. Where do you drive to shop. Auburn or Placerville? Or do you go into Sacto.? I love your pictures and description of life in Georgetown. It sounds wonderful there, and I wouldn't mind living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got very excited when they built a Target in Auburn about 8 years ago and Home Depot came last year! Now if only Trader Joe's would come to Auburn my life would be complete :} Placerville and Auburn are exactly equidistant so it depends on what else I might have to do that day. Folsom is my preferred Costco 'cuz it's right off the hwy but that's an all day excursion that I only take about every 6 to 8 wks. with a list and coolers and a plan! I really would rather not go "off the hill" as we say, I just as soon stay right here. I felt so sorry for my husband when he work in Sac. That commute was a %^$^.

      Delete
  4. we did the same and I dont miss the city at all. It is so peaceful sitting on the front porch with a project listening to the birds and frogs. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious, do you feel you gave anything up for the lifestyle you enjoy now? For instance we took a substantial financial cut to move hereand we have moved away from family which was harder than giving up money believe me.

      Delete
  5. Sounds lovely~ I live in a small town too...well, outside the city limits of a small town in East Texas...not much goes on here, but when it does...Everybody knows about it.

    Sooo...I prefer outside the city limits for that reason. Keeping to myself, via FFBH Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever we have company from out of town the whole town knows about it and I here about it when I go to the post office or hardware store. Pretty funny. " How was your visit?" My BIL was pretty startled when he was greeted at the gas station by name the first time he came here, word had gotten out that he was coming to stay!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a beautiful town.
    We moved to a small town of 1100 5 years ago when hubby retired. They don't have much there, but the folks are friendly, it's quiet, and you don't need to lock your door.
    The only "downside"-if you can call it that-is now, when we have to go to the city (pop 15,000) to a Menards, we get all stressed from all the people and traffic. Yea. Fifteen thousand IS TOO MANY. Feels so good to get back home.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. My hands start to sweat when I have to drive in Los Angeles now. I lived my whole life there for pete's sake! But winding mountain roads are now a piece of cake, lol.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.