Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Out of the Past

While cleaning up my sewing room a few weeks ago to get ready for all that company I not only came across those HTS that I used for the table topper but I also found this beautiful piece of handwork that I had forgotten all about.


This has been in a drawer for more than 40 years. My husband brought it back from Vietnam in 1969 when his tour of duty was over. In fact it may be the only thing he brought back. He thought I might like it, he knew even then how much I loved needle work of any kind and I was heavily into hand embroidery in my youth.


This is a piece of work from the hands of a Hmong woman. She may have been a translator or a laundry lady or even just a street vendor. The Hmong are an ethnic group from the mountainous regions of China and Vietnam who where America's allies in the Vietnam War and suffered for it. You can read more about them here.

Isn't it strange how a piece of fabric can evoke such strong emotion? Perhaps it's your grandmother's apron or your mother's handkerchief. Or a quilt handed down through time. Isn't that why some of us  quilt? So that we will be remembered?


 It's wonderful, precise work. Tiny, elegant stitches. But it brings back not so happy memories for me. I think I'll put it back in a drawer along with those memories. Some things are best forgotten.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Although you appreciate the handiwork, if the piece does not bring you joy, you made the right decision to put it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, That's what I did, put it back in the drawer and moved on.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.