Wednesday, August 1, 2012

How to Find a Broken Water Pipe, Country Style

It's a long story...
Let's begin at the beginning shall we? For quite a while I've been saying that I think we have a leak somewhere because the water bill seems kinda high. Now our irrigation is done from our well but the house water comes from the Public Utility District Hereby known as the PUD. If you call the PUD and ask for assistance finding a leak they laugh in your face and really how do you find a leak on acreage? Let me tell you.

Yep, we're sunk all right!
We called a tree man to come and cut down a hazardous tree that had died  next to the hen house and was just too big for Chris to cut down. So Ric the tree guy came out with his 2 ton bucket truck to get the job done. When Ric drove the 2 ton bucket truck through the gate to get access to said dead tree the 2 TON TRUCK sunk into a previously undiscovered sinkhole up to its axle! BINGO! That's how you find a broken water pipe country style.


Ric said, "While I'm sunk I might just as well cut down that tree, then we'll see about winching out my truck." And that's what we did. I hauled a cord of fire wood from the wood shed to fill the hole to give purchase to the tires while the men winched the truck out and then I hauled a cord of muddy fire wood out of the hole so my husband could dig down and find the broken pipe. A real good time was had by all. (No sarcasm here, no sirree!)





I think you can see just how close this is to my hen house and not a branch even grazed it! Amazing, really.


Sadly my rose garden and lily pond are under all that debris and several tons of tree. I don't know what will be left once we get this cleaned up. Ric did a damn fine job of felling that tree. It had to be done before it fell on it's own and hurt someone and we'll get at least a cord and a half of firewood out of it.

P.S. The water bill has been reduced significantly.

Until next time,

15 comments:

  1. I think you've just discovered another quaint country-style neighborhood party theme. You know: barn-raisin', hole-fillin', truck-pullin'. . . .

    Seriously, though, glad to hear the problems are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need a neighborhood party for the clean-up phase of this project. All Ric did is cut down the tree the rest is up to us.

      Delete
  2. Wow! So you got a little exercise hauling all that wood, plus you got all that wood for the winter...not too shabby a deal....and amazingly a great way to find that leak! What a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much more work to come and I shudder to think what the roses look like under all that!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, there are 30 rose bushes under all that and a lily pond :( I'm pretty sad about what lies beneath.

      Delete
  3. Oh darn, I wanted to see the hole Chris had to dig. Glad the gorgeous remodeled chicken house wasn't damaged. So sorry about the lily pond & rose garden though. I'm not too sure about life in the country.... Becky B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned Becky, you know me and there's always more to the story...

      Delete
  4. No injuries to people or chickens -- great work!

    Located leak -- lucky and unlucky!

    I'll stop in again to see if there's more to the story. I'm feeling for the lilies and roses, and I bet there are some aching muscles, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. it's good news, bad news! You're right about the muscles and the roses look BAD! Of course there is more to the story. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Oh. MY. Gosh! What an adventure--and a workout! Glad the pipe was found, fixed, and the truck pulled out after the tree was felled. What a story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now the massive clean-up job begins, oh my poor roses. :(

      Delete
  6. “Sadly my rose garden and lily pond are under all that debris and several tons of tree.”—I think it pays a little sacrifice to fix something significant. Hadn't you found the broken pipes, you might still be paying high water bills until today. Anyway, it's just good that it did not cause more damage to your backyard.

    Levi @CapitalPlumbing.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about that Levi. The new garden looks great by the way and my water bill has improved significantly so it's a win/win!

      Delete
  7. That's right! Broken pipes are something we cannot merely set aside, seeing the impact they might cause. In my opinion, we should do our best to arrest those water leakages before they even become a possible inevitability. Good luck!

    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’re right, it’s a win-win. The hazardous tree is gone, you have a new garden, and your water bills has reduced significantly. One good thing will lead to another when you take the odds out of the equation. I hope everything continues to go well for you. Have a good day!

    Martha Ward @ Son-Rise Plumbing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.