Friday, July 6, 2012

Sewing for Veterans



It has always been one of my life goals to use my talents such as they are in service to others. Learn a skill and pass it on is my motto. I have gained so much in my life through the generosity of others sharing their knowledge and talent and isn't that what this whole blog thing is about?
When I was a young mother I was a La Leche League leader for more than 15 years helping other mothers gain confidence to breast feed their babies and I trained couples as a Bradley childbirth instructor for many years as well.  These were some of the most satisfy and enriching experiences of my life and my whole family benefited from my time doing that work. They can tell some hilarious stories about pregnant women roaming the halls of their childhood.

I finally feel my sewing has reached a point that I won't embarrass myself by sewing for someone other than family. With that in mind I attended my first ever meeting of a local (as local as anything gets for me living where I do) group of women who sew for vets. Not Quilts of Valor which are great and which I've helped with before but more mundane and just as needed things like wheelchair lap quilts, walker bags, adult bibs and fidget blankies for Alzheimer patients. There are many, many older veterans in VA hospitals long or short term and hospice care who can use such things. 

Many times our older vets are forgotten and since my own husband is a Viet Nam War vet I feel a real tug in this direction. Even though I didn't know a soul I was welcomed eagerly and put right to work making walker bags. I also took home five pre-cut kits for wheel chair quilts. 

I'll keep you posted on my progress. I urge you to step outside your comfort zone a little, maybe attend a new group that interests you and you may find a new avenue to be of service and make new friends.


Until next time,

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patricia...As I have told you before, I live in the same county as you. I would also love to help out with this group if I am needed. Please let me know if I can help.
    Also, shared stitches BOM is this weekend and for the first time in a long time, I am off on Sunday and would love to meet you! Email me if this is something you would like to do...coffee after BOM??

    Thanks! Julianne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.