Sunday, July 22, 2012

Nesting Instinct

Since at least one hen has laid an egg surely there will be more to follow so I figured I had better be sure those nests were nice and cozy for the girls. I had done a so so job of providing materials for them to nest in but now it's time to get serious.


First I cleaned everything out and put in a layer of shavings, something cushy for the tushy.


Then I gathered pine straw for extra padding. There certainly is plenty of that stuff laying around. Mound it up nice and high, the girls will rearrange it all to their liking later.





Add golf balls to get them in the mood. Believe it or not some of these chicks don't know what to do with these beautiful nests without a little prompting.




All ready to party!!


One of the girls has already been in there redecorating! 
Linking to Farm Girl Friday, check out all the wonderful ideas.


Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Looking good. I also use golf balls but in addition to get them in the mood to lay, if a black snake rob your nest they will swallow the balls. They can not digest the balls so it is one way to eliminate snakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know Kathleen. I haven't seen any snakes around but that doesn't mean there aren't any!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.