Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dump Cake

I know what you're thinking... yes dump cake is processed food at it's finest. In fact regular dump cake has absolutely no redeeming qualities except it's soooo darn good, and fast and easy and my family loves the stuff. I mean LOVES! The first time I made dump cake for my new husband in 1969 I knew he was mine for life that's how much he loves this thing.

Over the years I've manage to cut out the canned element and cut the margarine so I can fool myself that MY dump cake is healthier. HA!


Grease a 9x13 baking pan
preheat oven 350*


4 cups any fruit you like fresh or frozen or canned (believe it or not canned or frozen works best here)
 1/4 cup sugar or less
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick butter
cinnamon


I'm baking bread too as long as the oven's on.
Dump fruit into prepared pan sprinkle with sugar to taste. (We don't like too sweet fruit so I go easy.) Dump dry cake mix over the top of fruit and spread evenly. Make dimples with your fingers. Slice butter over top and distribute evenly. (See what those dimples are for?) Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste. You know how I like raw sugar for sparkle so sprinkle a little of that on top too.
Bake about 45 minutes until golden and bubbly.

This dump cake made with frozen mixed berries.
When this is cooled serve with vanilla ice cream and never you mind.


I used frozen cherries for this one.


Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Oh---I'm going to have to try this soon. I'm also interested in your bread. Is that sourdough? if so, what is your starter? did you purchase it? I've become very interested in making sour dough bread. I just don't have a starter yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, the bread is Olive from bread from the book 'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day'. It's an awesome book with all kinds of great recipes.

      Delete
  2. It all looks so good! What kind of bread is that? I want some!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's olive bread from the book 'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day'

      Delete
  3. Yum! I usually just make this with the canned pie filling and canned pineapple. Good to know I can just use frozen berries instead. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, It works well with ripe fresh fruit too and you can make it as sweet as you like, a big plus.

      Delete
  4. Sounds great will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the country ;) Dang,now I want something sweet! Thanks for sharing the book,am going to check that out,I Love making Bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to love that book, I love making bread too.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.