Monday, July 23, 2012

Design Wall Monday/Mug Mats

Not a lot of sewing action going on here on Dogwood Lane. It's hotter than blue blazes in my sewing room upstairs and I'm too cheap frugal to turn on the air conditioning just so I can sew. That being said I did do a little something this week. 



Back when mug rugs swept the quilting world I just did not get the point. I mean they're cute and all but all that work for an overgrown coaster? Still, some of those things are so darn pretty! This week I was putting away some scraps and had the urge to play around and you can guess the rest. 


No fussy bindings for me though. Instead I used a turned pillow case finish (I think that's what it's called) where you sew the three layers of fabric and batting right sides together and turn right side out through a small opening ( clear as mud here.) And then I top stitched the whole thing for a clean finish and no hand sewing.




I took the opportunity to practice quilting with my 'in the ditch' foot and that thing is amazing! What a great tool. If you don't have one I suggest you go out and get one right away that's how great I think they are.




Now that I've made some mug mats I'm finding all kinds of places where I need one. Beside my reading lamp in the living room, beside my bed, my husband definitely needs one instead of a dinky coaster. See what I mean? I'm officially obsessed!




Linking to Patchwork Times check it out for more design ideas.


Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. I like those pretty blue ones! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, Patricia! We all come around to the necessity of an "overgrown" coater at some point. LOL It shows that you've had a wonderful time playing with your scraps...and finally seeing the need for mug rugs! Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, It seams I'm always later to any party but I do get there eventually. :}

      Delete
  3. Boy Pat, I don't know how hot it is where you're at but we have been hitting 100, A/C is on but we are cheap.....err.....I mean frugal so it isn't set low....just enough to be comfortable but my sewing room is warm. Love your little mug rugs and that is the way I finish my dish rugs for putting wet dishes on! Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, It's been in the high 90's the problem is the sewing room is upstairs and heat rises as you know. I'm just not a morning person or there would be no problem. I should serve cheese with this whine....

      Delete
  4. Really cute! I'm sure they are getting good use :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, I didn't think I needed these and now I use them all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.