Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Silent Bob

Remember these guys?




Well they've grown and grown and now they look like this. 


To my eye they seem full grown and should be giving us eggs already! But in reality they're only about 18 weeks just teenagers in chicken land and we still have a ways to go before we get omelets.


And here is the king of his domain - Silent Bob! Isn't he a beauty and doesn't he know it. Supposedly I purchased all sexed chicks but obviously a baby roo snuck into the mix and here he is in all his feathered glory. We call him Silent Bob because so far he has been a fairly polite and considerate rooster who only crows occasionally and only once the sun has risen. He doesn't like early mornings any more than I do! SO FAR. We all know that all this is subject to change once Bob is a little more mature. 



In the 14 years that I have kept chickens I've never had a rooster and I'm finding it fascinating all the new behaviors I'm seeing in the flock. At night when they go to roost all the girls want to get next to SB and he spreads his wings to try to shelter as many of them as possible. They make a great big ball on the perch with him in the center of his harem.



He doesn't like it when I wear a red shirt and got quite agitated one day when I showed up in red plaid! I'll keep you posted on other behaviors I notice. The egg count down is on. Care to take a guess as to when the first one will appear?




Until next time,

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember exactly when my hens started laying, but I think it was about 20 weeks. You should have eggs within the next month for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our new rooster hasn't started crowing yet but the old rooster makes up for him. All . . Day . . . Long. Glad we have no close neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only wish Bob would stay silent but I know that will never happen! Now come on girls and do your stuff, I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.