Friday, June 22, 2012

Busy Days

From the garden this morning - fava beans, onions and strawberries. The growing season is just getting started here.
Lots going on here on Dogwood Lane most of it having to do with garden chores that just can't wait any longer. 

One day's harvest in May.
 Asparagus season is over and it was a good one. Now it's time to tidy up the beds so I tackled that chore on Saturday by covering with a layer of compost. Chris hauled several loads of pine needles for me to use as mulch, we have plenty of that free for the taking! Can you believe how big and tall those stalks are? We have two varieties of asparagus growing here, the regular green variety and an experimental type which I purchased at the county fair some time ago from the UC Davis Extension program. It's dark purple and thicker than my thumb but tender all the way down the stalk! I wish I had a dozen more roots of that one.



School is out and that means it's time to put up the pool. Ever since the grands were little we've had a pool so that they could go swimming whenever they want. Obviously they are too big to swim in it now but they still like to cool off in the pool and we love to have them come over. I keep popsicles in the freezer just for them as an added bribe.


Ready for kids!
Chris and I are still adjusting to the new normal as far as having him around all day, every day goes. He is working out a plan for his days and I'm happy to be able to see him during the day and have lunch with him but it does take some getting used to.

I almost forgot to tell you that I'm a winner! Kathleen at Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm  picked my comment as the winner of her blog prize celebrating her blog anniversary. Happy one year anniversary Kathleen and thanks for the gift certificate! Go on over and check out her neat blog everybody.


Until next time,
 

4 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look delicious - and those asparagus spears?! Wow! We're trying to grow a few things in pots on our balcony, but it's not looking too promising... I'll just have to live vicariously through your garden posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, Just remember that asparagus plot is 6 to 8 years old! Gardening is all about patience. lol I'll post a picture of the garden soon which is a lot of work but only now starting to produce. Too cold here in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents always had asparagus in their backyard too. Love that purple colored one!

    My other grandparents had an above ground pool too. We loved to all get in it and swim around the edge really fast and make a whirlpool.

    Summer memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, My grand kids made a whirlpool one year and all jumped in the middle and popped the pool!!! Flooded the backyard! You should have seen all our faces. :0

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.