Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Trip to Grass Valley

 On Saturday the Needle Nellies decided to take a field trip to Grass Valley for the Pine Tree Quilt Guild's annual quilt show. Spring time is quilt show season in the foothills and we all look forward to being able to travel around and see what everyone else has been working on over the winter. There were a lot of very large quilts in this show so it was hard to get a picture of the whole thing.


Falling Autumn Leaves by Marsha Vieira; loved the colors in this one and the pieced background, raw edge applique.


Dock Days of Summer by Kate Grant; these blocks are joined together on the front like a rag quilt.

A close-up.
Oopsie Daisy by Deidre Campbell; the 30's prints were so fresh and sweet.
Trimming the Arbor by Dorothy Fowler; amazing portrait, the photo inspiration is on the left.
Kiahuna by Sally Monestier; I'm a sucker for batiks.
African Elephant by Deirdre Campbell; completely different style from her 30's piece.
Buttons Ubiquitous by Gerri Griswold
This quilt was the queen of the show in my opinion! Oh my, king sized, hand quilted, applique, embellished with antique buttons from grandmother's button box, prairie points, wonderful colors - I could go on and on. The picture does not do it justice.



I'll show you some of the art pieces tomorrow.


Until next time,


3 comments:

  1. I wish I had known about the show. I'm here in Rancho and would of drove to grass valley for a quilt show. I always loved the grass valley area. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, My sister and I were at the show Sunday a.m. We enjoyed seeing all the quilts. Loved the Dragon made with Prarie Points! Grass Valley and Nevada City is our home town. We drove up from Sacto. I was visiting my sister there. We have gone to this quilt show off and on for years, but had not been for a few years. It was a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen sorry you missed the show it was lovely. Angie, weren't those dragon just amazing? I love this show for the setting and the art quilts especially.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.