Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bran Muffins My Way




My husband leaves for work EARLY. Like 5:00 AM early. I love him and everything but there is no way I'm getting up and making breakfast for him that early. Besides, he's not ready to eat then either. He has an hour and a half commute and is in his office before anyone else so he likes to sit peacefully and eat at his desk. Our solution is these muffins and hard boiled eggs and his second cup of coffee. I've been making them for years, like 40 years! They started out as the standard you can keep the batter in your refrigerator for 6 weeks muffins and have mutated into this I hope slightly healthier version. I know this sounds like a meager breakfast but my hubby wears the same size pants as he did in high school so it's working for him. (Try not to be a hater ;) )


Breakfast Bran Muffins
makes 6 dozen
Batter will keep in the refrigerator for up to six weeks. If it gets too thick add fruit juice or milk.


15 oz. whole bran cereal
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup ground flax or whole wheat flour 
5 tsp baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil or 1 1/2 cup applesauce + 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 quart buttermilk
4 beaten eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 lb dried fruit, re-hydrated
2 cups chopped nuts


Mix all dry ingredients together, including nuts in a very large bowl.
Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. 
Make a well in dry ingredients and add wet ingredients all at once stirring just until combined. Add fruit and stir until blended. Don't over mix this makes your baked goods tough.
Fill greased muffin tins or use paper liners and bake at 400* for 20 minutes. 
I like to bake mine all at once since I have more freezer space than frig. space and these freeze really well. You can add any combination of fruit that you like. 

Blueberries, cranberries and apricots. To rehydrate barely cover with water an soak overnight or microwave for 2 minutes and cool.
All the dry ingredients together on a LARGE bowl.
 
Add the wet ingredients, I added the fruit at the same time I'm a rebel. My bowl is shiny so that's a nice reflection, kinda like a heart.



Mix it up.

I use an ice cream scoop to fill my muffin cups. Spray with cooking spray and the batter will slide right out.




Personally I probably ruin the whole health aspect since I slather with butter when they're fresh from the oven. Yum.  As a side note I do not wear the same size pants as I did in high school!


Until next time,


8 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe. Could you clarify how much dried fruit (rehydrated) you add? It's early and my brain can't quite figure out what a "bl" is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops Kristi, a typo! I meant a lb. as in pound! Around 2 1/2 to 3 cups I'm never real precise whatever you have, the more the merrier I say. It must have been early when I wrote it! I fixed it now. Thanks for finding my mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make these same muffins but used raisin bran, they are so good....I bet they are even better with the flax seed and extra fruit! Makes me want to go buy the ingredients I need and make some, you're right, they were excellent fresh out of the oven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins look so nutritious. I always try to buy products with flax seed. The extra fruit is great too. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome Rosemary hope you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julianne, I'll bet your mom's muffins were delicious! I can smell them from here - ummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Patricia - I have a husband who can still wear his wedding suit 40 years on. Very galling!
    I love bran muffins and the addition of applesauce to reduce the oil sounds really good. Does it still keep well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lizzie, I have to confess that I mostly bake the oil version as I prefer it and as I said I bake them up all at once and freeze them and they always freeze really well. When I did use the applesauce version they did not rise as well but tasted good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.