Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Are Those Geese Migrateing?


Lots of geese in this one
The BOM I'm making, Memories of Provence has millions of flying geese blocks, millions I tell ya. I swear making the Flying Geese block can drive a person crazy and wish the darn things would just migrate on out of here already!  Mine are wonky, wobbly and would never be able to find their way north or south.  Maybe you don't have this problem but if you do you might want to try the ruler I've been using lately. (Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with or sponsorship from the manufacturer or seller of  this product). 


Can you say off kilter?


Using the ruler to trim things up

That's better.



Everything is the same size and no cut off points. It's a miracle.

I've been trying the Fit to be Geese ruler from Open Gate Quilts,  I purchased it at my LQS on the recommendation of the owner and it has helped tremendously to get flying geese blocks that are accurate and not too cut off and wonky.


What method do you use to get those geese to fly right?


Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. Those look really nice. I don't have any specialty ruler for geese. There are so many out there that I just haven't picked one. Thanks for the picture.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the stitch and flip method, using two squares and one rectangle. That seems to work for me. I really like the fabric you used in the center of the block. Good proportions! Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I have always used 'stitch n flip as well but the block kits for this BOM are so limited in fabric and the directions call for cutting triangles so I'm learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I don't know if I'm completely sold or not but it's a new method to try and I'm trying to improve my piecing so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! I use all kinds of methods but also have the Flying Geese rulers by Eleanor Burns and like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, I have those Eleanor Burns rulers too but haven't tried them yet. Next up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.