Friday, March 23, 2012

Beer Bread


I heard that you could bake a decent bread with nothing more than beer - no yeast -  so I decided to give it try. After some Internet research this is the combination recipe I decided to go with.

Beer Bread
makes 1 loaf


3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp dried dill
1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
12 ounces beer

Heat oven to 375°. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, dill, and cheddar in a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in the beer and mix just until combined. The batter will be thick.
Spread the batter in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, brush with an egg glaze if desired, and bake until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool 10 more minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
 
Here's what I think:
This was a really stiff dough so be prepared to strong arm it. It rose well in the oven just as advertised and made a great looking loaf as you can see from the picture. The cheese was a good touch and I would use that again.
I used a really strong beer that I had in the fridge and it left a pretty bitter after taste... next time I'll use a cheaper, milder beer.
Other recipes I've seen call for as much as 1/4 cup of melted butter poured into the bottom of the pan and over the top instead of an egg wash and I like that idea (maybe not 1/4 cup though). You can't go wrong with butter.


Every recipe is not a complete success the first time or at least not to my taste the first time. That's why I tell you all about it warts and all. I'll try it again with some tweaks because this was tasty and super easy.


Until next time,

3 comments:

  1. OK I had to see if I too thought we have the same interests, and you know what, we're like kindred spirits. I now live on the prairie and you in the woods. Those I do love the woods more. I'm following now so I do not lose touch with you.. Good luck on the chickens. I have problems too but with smaller critters. Coyote, Dogs, Bob Cats, Raccoon's and Possums. Glad you found me and I you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so tasty! Do you think the sugar is needed, since there's no yeast that needs to eat it to make the bread rise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jerimi,

    (You are set to No Reply you might want to check that out to make blog replies easier.) I do think you need the sugar because the beer can be bitter and the sugar cuts that and I'm no chemist but there is brewers yeast in there somewhere, right? Some recipes I saw called for as much as 1/4 cup which I thought was just too much! Also you can leave out the cheese and try herbs, that's what I'm doing next - good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.