Friday, February 17, 2012

Soups On



It snowed for the first time this winter (I know, that's crazy but true) yesterday and whenever the weather turns cold I want soup. Not soup from a can - that's nasty, homemade soup the only kind worth eating IMHO. I rummaged around and came up with the ingredients for this soup which was so good and good for us. I don't usually use a recipe for soup I just wing it, I'm sure there's a recipe for this on the internet somewhere. Served it with crusty sourdough bread I had left from Sunday dinner. It's a winner.

White Bean, Italian Sausage and Kale Soup
serves 4
1 lg carrot chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
1 med onion chopped
1 clove chopped garlic
1 can Cannolini beans
3 sweet Italian sausages, remove casings (this is what I had in the frig. but I think hot or semi hot would work great too)
2 tbsp dry Italian herbs
6 cups chicken broth
1 bunch of kale (if you don't have kale use spinach I won't mind)

Brown the sausage and crumble it up good so it will be easy to eat in the soup. Use the same pot your going to cook the soup in make it easy clean up for yourself. Remove the sausage and any drippings and set aside. In the same pan add a little olive oil and sweat the onion, garlic, carrot and celery, throw in the dry herbs. Meanwhile drain the beans and rinse them, I hate that can taste so I always rinse my canned beans. Now add the chicken broth and beans and simmer for about 30 minutes. Put the sausage in the pot and as much of the drippings as you want. Mine were not too greasy so I used it all - added flavor. Wash your kale really well 'cuz there can be dirt hiding and cut off the stems ( they're too tough). Chop the kale pretty fine and add to pot, simmer 20 minute more and your done! ( If you use spinach don't cook it much more than 5 minutes or it will get slimy).

Serve with Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top. Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.