Monday, February 27, 2012

Design Wall Monday

 We have a new grand baby due this summer and I'm so excited to get started on making cuddly things for our little one. I saw a flannel rag quilt on Pinterest that looked so much easier and less fussy than any I had seen before so I decided to give it a whirl. Here's the finished product.


This came out so soft and comfy. The finished size is 59" x 38" a nice lap size to cover mommy and baby in the rocker. Here's how I did it:
You need about 2 3/4 yds each of backing, middle and front fabric. I used the same backing and middle and different front fabrics. I used fabric from my stash so it's hard for me to tell you exactly how much to get. From backing and middle fabrics cut 12, 5" strips wof and 9, 3" strips wof. From your top fabrics cut the same number of 5" and 3" wof strips mixing up your colors any way you want. That's a total of 21 backing strips, 21 middle strips and 21 top strips.
Here are mine. The yellow is the backing, the white dot is the middle and assorted colors for the top. I used a thinner flannel for the middle and nothing fancy since it's not going to show.
Now it's time to layer these together. Backing face down, middle face up, top face up. Before you put the top piece on press a line down the center of each one. This will help with the quilting later. We need to anchor these strips together and this is the fun part for sure. Instead of just sewing a boring straight line down the middle why not use all those fancy stitches just waiting for you on that super wonderful sewing machine of yours? Don't know how? Me either, so I did the radical thing and got out the BOOK.
 And look it explains the whole thing right there! Wow, I never read that thing unless I jam something.









I used just about every fancy stitch I have and I figured out how to make words too, with variegated thread! What's next, applique?
Remember that pressed center line?


"Mimi loves you" - that's me!
Now sew your strips together back to back with a 1/2" seam. Sew all around the outside edge with 1/2" seam as well. I used a triple stitch around the outside I found on my machine used for jeans. I figure those will get the most wear. Time to clip every 1/2" or so. I just used my thumb as a guide. Be careful not to get too close to those threads or you may be doing some re-sewing. Wash and dry and you're done.

Now that I know how to sew words on things I may add them to everything
Thanks to Megan at Do It Yourself Divas for her awesome tutorial which got me started on this idea.

Don't forget the other design walls at Judy's place.

11 comments:

  1. I love the fancy stitch in this one. I think I'm going to give this one a try and quilting little messages in there, is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, personal, and imaginative! Sure to get lots of use. Congrats on such a successful project full of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I love to make rag quilts and this one looks like a lot of fun. I think you have my next machine. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me on the sewing machine.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute, AND a great way to use all those fun stitches :) Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous project! I love the writing, it looks very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and what a great way to use all your stitiches!
    Quilting by the River - Linky Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed your link from Sew Darn Crafty. I want to make a rag quilt so bad, but have way too many other projects going. I really like this version of a rag quilt and your fancy stitching. My machine does a lot too but I just haven't had time to experiment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking for an idea for a different sort of baby quilt or blanket for some babies who are due in the next couple of months. I really didn't want to do the squares, but this strip quilt is wonderful. I have decided now what I am going to do. I think I will use all flannel for the fabric strips as it fuzzes up so beautifully soft. Thanks so very much for this great tutorial which I am going to pin to my Sewing and Quilting Tutorials board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try this one Lynn it turns out cute and super easy.

      Delete
    2. I bought the fabric yesterday and hope to get started on it very soon!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.