Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cut the Cheese

Sorry, I couldn't resist. For quite a while I have been wanting to try making cheese here at Dogwood Lane Farm. I use the term farm loosely because we don't have a cow or goats and right now we don't even have chickens due to the great hen massacre of December 2010. Still my desire to make cheese persisted.
Like almost everything else I decide to do in my life after a little research, and I do mean little, I dove right in and made cheese!


I used this kit I purchased at the organic seed store with guidance from this book, Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll. 
The book is very well written and easy to understand with recipes fro any kind of cheese you might want to attempt from easy soft cheeses like ricotta and mascarpone through mozzarella on to brie and cheddar. 


I made mozzarella and it worked! Not the best I ever had but it worked. I cubed it and added pesto and served it with crusty bread - pretty good. I'll do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love hearing what you have to say.